Friday, August 7, 2009

Grace Haven: Day 2

I got up just after midnight on Monday morning, planted my best-quality apple, lettuce, tomato, and grapes--some of the produce I'd harvested from the community garden was better than the seeds I'd been giving for finishing reading "Gardening: Volume 1"), turned on the sprinkler, and went back to bed.

I woke up again after 7:00 a.m., cleaned up my lot a bit,

and went back to the community garden to harvest more plants.

I got to Gardening Level 2! Imagine that--improving by doing something other than just reading a book....

I'd spun a wish to go fishing (and Gardenia--she's asked me to call her "Gardenia" instead of "Ms. Grower", though such informality makes me a little uncomfortable), so I crossed the nearest bridge and fished for a while.

I'd intended to fish only till getting the Lifetime Happiness points promised by the wish (Gardenia also told me to pay close attention to my wishes), but it was going so well that I stayed till I reached Fishing Level 1, just after 7:00 p.m.

I'd also spun a wish to read a book about gardening, so went back to the library (which I'd intended to do, anyway, since I love the ambiance there).

In less than an hour, I'd finished "Gardening: Volume 1", which I'd started the day before. (I'm a fast reader.) In the process, I reached Gardening Level 3, and could now use fertilizer.

I had a wish to buy a book, but I didn't have any money,

so--though out of caution I had been hanging on to all the produce I'd harvested from the community garden, and to all the fish I'd caught--I decided to go to the grocery and sell what I didn't reasonably think I'd need for the next couple of days.

At the bookstore,

I browsed through the offerings and hoped that the "buy a book" wish would be satisfied by buying one of the recipes that Gardenia had advised me I'd have to master for the GAC Challenge.

Fortunately, it was.

I returned home and weeded (and took inventory of) my tiny garden.

I had certainly benefited by not planting the lower-quality seeds I was given as a reward for reaching Gardening Level 1, and planting instead the higher-quality produce I had harvested at the community garden. This meant I was starting off with 2 Very Nice plants and 2 Nice plants.

I fertilized all 4 plants with Nice bell peppers,

then hit the sack.

************
NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: Join us next time, when Grace stops reading gardening books (at Gardenia's specific instruction), and shares her approach for picking up Unknown seeds. Oh, and she meets a guy at the gym....

No comments:

Post a Comment